Thursday, May 18, 2006

Gandalf the Vandal

By now, you may already have heard about "The Da Vinci Code" actor Ian McKellen's comment that "the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying this is fiction." It is almost becoming a cliche for actors to make ignorant comments about politics and religion. McKellen's comment, while mean spirited and petty, is not what caught my eye when I read about it at WND. This is what I found interesting:
McKellen, who announced in 1988 he is homosexual, said in a 2004 interview with the London Telegraph he rips out the book of Leviticus, which condemns homosexuality, from the Gideon Bible in every hotel room in which he stays.
No, I was not surprised that Ian McKellen, who played Gandalf in the Lord of the Rings films, was gay. I was amazed that he went to so much effort to tear out the book of Leviticus from the Gideon Bibles THAT DIDN'T BELONG TO HIM. Apparently, he didn't want to waste the match.

ONE MORE THOUGHT:

I'd be interested to find out if Sir Ian goes to libraries or book stores and tears out parts of the Koran he doesn't like. I'm sure that would never occur to him, though.