Thursday, January 03, 2008

Shipping Out

Well, the day has finally arrived. No, I am not talking about the Iowa caucuses. My male offspring (aka the Little Finger) will be shipping out to Fort Benning, Georgia for Basic Training. He joined the Minnesota Army National Guard last June. (Due to a scheduled family event, he was able to get his Basic Training delayed.) He will be at Fort Benning until March 2008 and then will move to Fort Gordon, Georgia to begin is 6+ month Advanced Individual Training. If you haven't done the math, that means that he will be gone for about 9 months. He's looking forward to the experience. I suspect he doesn't quite realize what he's going to experience. Well, I was about 3 years younger than he is when I went to Basic. If I was able to make it through, he should be fine. Well, we've got about 9 hours before I must entrust his care and feeding to the U. S. Army. We've got a movie to see and a steak dinner to eat.

Needless to say, I am a very proud father.

Labels: ,