Thursday, August 02, 2007

Minneapolis Bridge Collapse #2

The rescue efforts have been officially called off. Recovery efforts will resume after daybreak. The official fatality total is at seven, but I suspect it will enter double digits shortly after work resumes in the morning.

I was completely unaware of the catastrophy until I received a call from my very concerned mother. I think she knew I'd be working late and wasn't overly concerned, but was concerned nonetheless. She informed me that my younger sister, who lives in Minneapolis, was also safe. I have yet to hear from my friends and fellow bloggers Mondo and Muzzy. I pray that they were not involved in this disaster.

I'm watching the local ABC affiliate, KSTP. They are reporting that officials are concerned that there are several vehicles in the river that they don't know about. There have also been reports that they are concerned that debris from the collapse might make its way downstream and damage other bridges. In addition, the remaining bridge structure is unstable and moving. They are concerned that more of the bridge could collapse. It seems as if all of the survivor reports mention that they credit their survival to the fact that they were wearing their seatbelts.

KSTP also has a very moving slide show of photos taken by victims and witnesses.

More on this major local, national and international story later.

Update: The number of injured is reported at over 60. That number may increase a bit, but I think we can only hope that that is the only statistic that will change.

Labels: