Sunday, February 12, 2006

Context, Context, Context

Justin at Between Two Worlds points to a problem with the scripture referenced in the banner of this church website. I must admit I didn't recognize the problem immediately. The passage is Luke 4:7 KJV:
If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.
Taken out of context, it doesn't sound all that bad. However, here is the immediate context (vv 6-8) :
And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it. If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
As Homer Simpson would say, "DOH!"

UPDATE: The church has since removed the poorly chosen scripture from their website and replaced it with their phone number. Maybe that's a hint to bloggers that we should call them instead of making fun of their mistake. Point taken.